Skip to main content

Dancing Fashcards

This is something kids love to do. Plus, it's veeery easy to prepare. Guess what you need to do it... that's right, Paper! Oh, and a pen which can't be that hard for you to find somewhere. :)
Well, here goes. Get some of the vocabulary your students are practicing and write one word on the top right hand corner of a sheet of paper. I recently did this with clothes, so I wrote pants, dress, gloves, shirt and shoes, one word on five different sheets and taped them up in different parts of the room.
You can add more words to my list and even do this with actions like: swimming, sleeping etc.
Next, tell your students you're going to be playing a song which they have to get up and dance to till you stop the music. When the music stops they have to run to one of the papers and draw whatever's written on the sheet. Give them a minute or two to draw and then start the music again.
I usually make sure everyone has had a chance to draw each word. You can keep these up around the room for a while and when you take them down, they can be used as flashcards. Flashcards made by your students.
I like to cover up the words and have them tell me what the drawings are. I use them frequently to review vocabulary or hide for them to find. One student leaves the room, I hide the paper. When the student comes back in, he has to find the flashcard by having the other students tell them if they are hot or cold.
The more we get our students to prepare their own material the more excited and involved they get.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Wish You a Merry Christmas!!

 Last days of class and everything is Christmasy! I used paint and markers to liven up my students' paper portfolio envelopes with a holly ribbon. The kids loved them! They then added their own Christmas theme decorations to their portfolios. We also made holiday bookmarks which were pretty easy to make with leftover craft paper from the year. And look who I got to take a picture with at the mall! 🎄

It's the first Day! AGAIN!

 So, here we go again! It’s another first day of school with new students, and the butterflies in our stomachs have once again come alive. For me, the first day of class is about building connections. We want to get to know our students’ likes and dislikes, not only to have them practice the English language, but also so that we can show them that we care about who they are. The first day leaves an impression on them. I want to let them know that they are seen, remind them that I’m on their side, and show them that I want them to come back the next day. With my younger students, I’m going to have them write their names and draw, inside their names, things they like. Then, we’ll sit in a circle, and they’ll each share what they drew with the class. I want to use the information they give me on this first day to test their memory on the second day of class. For example, I might ask, “Who has a dog named Jack?” and they will have to tell me the name of that student. Here’s what I wi...

How are you today?

No matter how old my students are, we always start the class by me asking them how they are, or sometimes them asking each other. To help with this opening routine, I made this feelings wheel and now when I ask my fourth-graders how they are, they use a clothespin to attach to the image of how they are feeling. Recently, I've been choosing a mini-teacher and they have to choose 3 students and ask them how they are. They then show the class the student's answer on the feelings wheel and ask the class how he or she is. The class has to give a complete answer, he or she is excited, for example. In a classroom where I can't use screens, this wheel has been a great helper.