Skip to main content

Games!


Game today, teacher? How many of you have been asked this question? People, in our case, people who are students, love games. I have to admit there are some rare exceptions but most students will eagerly participate in whatever you want as long as you call it a game. And there's no better way to get your students involved and engaged than for you to ask them to create their own game.
In this picture, the students were only 5 and 6 years old so I made the base of the game and they drew the words in the squares. The older they are, the more they can do on their own. The game markers can be objects you already have in the class. We used these little paint bottles so each student could be a different color. In most games I have them make, all they have to do to play is throw a dice and move their markers. In this class, wherever they landed, they had to say this is a flower, for example. If there was a number next to the square, they also had to say the number. If they said the sentence correctly, they could stay where they landed. If not, they had to go back to where they were before.
I used a big strip of paper for this game because I only had 5 students. In a bigger class, they can be divided into groups to make a game for another group to play. It's also a great way to review any vocabulary or grammar point your are teaching. It's also something you can save and use throughout the semester whenever you have some extra time. The biggest plus is that this took me less than 5 minutes to prepare. The rest was up to them.

. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Wish You a Merry Christmas!!

 Last days of class and everything is Christmasy! I used paint and markers to liven up my students' paper portfolio envelopes with a holly ribbon. The kids loved them! They then added their own Christmas theme decorations to their portfolios. We also made holiday bookmarks which were pretty easy to make with leftover craft paper from the year. And look who I got to take a picture with at the mall! 🎄

How are you today?

No matter how old my students are, we always start the class by me asking them how they are, or sometimes them asking each other. To help with this opening routine, I made this feelings wheel and now when I ask my fourth-graders how they are, they use a clothespin to attach to the image of how they are feeling. Recently, I've been choosing a mini-teacher and they have to choose 3 students and ask them how they are. They then show the class the student's answer on the feelings wheel and ask the class how he or she is. The class has to give a complete answer, he or she is excited, for example. In a classroom where I can't use screens, this wheel has been a great helper.  

It's the first Day! AGAIN!

 So, here we go again! It’s another first day of school with new students, and the butterflies in our stomachs have once again come alive. For me, the first day of class is about building connections. We want to get to know our students’ likes and dislikes, not only to have them practice the English language, but also so that we can show them that we care about who they are. The first day leaves an impression on them. I want to let them know that they are seen, remind them that I’m on their side, and show them that I want them to come back the next day. With my younger students, I’m going to have them write their names and draw, inside their names, things they like. Then, we’ll sit in a circle, and they’ll each share what they drew with the class. I want to use the information they give me on this first day to test their memory on the second day of class. For example, I might ask, “Who has a dog named Jack?” and they will have to tell me the name of that student. Here’s what I wi...