Skip to main content

Sea Creatures and Prepositions

And we are all still teaching online...
My teens group is studying sea creatures and some prepositions of place: next to, on, under, between. Our online classes have to be very visual so, besides the slides, I decided to make these paper puppets to help them understand these different prepositions. These were also made by drawing on the inside of boxes and after I cut them out, I glued them onto chopsticks. Students also made their own and we placed the animals in different situations and asked each other questions like: Where is the octopus? and the answer could be: It's next to the seaweed or It's between the starfish and the dophin. 
It's good to know that I'll be able to use these when we all go back to our classrooms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Wish You a Merry Christmas!!

 Last days of class and everything is Christmasy! I used paint and markers to liven up my students' paper portfolio envelopes with a holly ribbon. The kids loved them! They then added their own Christmas theme decorations to their portfolios. We also made holiday bookmarks which were pretty easy to make with leftover craft paper from the year. And look who I got to take a picture with at the mall! 🎄

How are you today?

No matter how old my students are, we always start the class by me asking them how they are, or sometimes them asking each other. To help with this opening routine, I made this feelings wheel and now when I ask my fourth-graders how they are, they use a clothespin to attach to the image of how they are feeling. Recently, I've been choosing a mini-teacher and they have to choose 3 students and ask them how they are. They then show the class the student's answer on the feelings wheel and ask the class how he or she is. The class has to give a complete answer, he or she is excited, for example. In a classroom where I can't use screens, this wheel has been a great helper.  

It's the first Day! AGAIN!

 So, here we go again! It’s another first day of school with new students, and the butterflies in our stomachs have once again come alive. For me, the first day of class is about building connections. We want to get to know our students’ likes and dislikes, not only to have them practice the English language, but also so that we can show them that we care about who they are. The first day leaves an impression on them. I want to let them know that they are seen, remind them that I’m on their side, and show them that I want them to come back the next day. With my younger students, I’m going to have them write their names and draw, inside their names, things they like. Then, we’ll sit in a circle, and they’ll each share what they drew with the class. I want to use the information they give me on this first day to test their memory on the second day of class. For example, I might ask, “Who has a dog named Jack?” and they will have to tell me the name of that student. Here’s what I wi...