Skip to main content

Where do they go?


This is an activity I plan to do when I get back to a real-life classroom. You separate the class in groups of 4. Each person in the group uses a white square paper to draw a scene where different animals live. I made an ocean, a forest, a farm and a house. The students then have to come up with 6 names of animals that live in the scene they are drawing. The group can work as a team to come up with the names. You can see my scenes and animal names in the photos. Students assemble the standing triangle,

which I have shown here in other activities, and glue all 4 scenes together.  
The teacher collects all the different sceneries and hands them out to different groups so that each group is going to use another groups' sceneries to play. When the teacher says GO, each group has to place the names of the animals in the correct scene. Some animals can be used in 2 different scenes, fish for example, but you can only have 6 names in each scene. The first group to place the names of the animals in the correct place, wins. The groups share where they placed the animals with the class. It would be better if each member of the team talked about a different place, so everybody gets a chance to speak.


        



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Wish You a Merry Christmas!!

 Last days of class and everything is Christmasy! I used paint and markers to liven up my students' paper portfolio envelopes with a holly ribbon. The kids loved them! They then added their own Christmas theme decorations to their portfolios. We also made holiday bookmarks which were pretty easy to make with leftover craft paper from the year. And look who I got to take a picture with at the mall! 🎄

How are you today?

No matter how old my students are, we always start the class by me asking them how they are, or sometimes them asking each other. To help with this opening routine, I made this feelings wheel and now when I ask my fourth-graders how they are, they use a clothespin to attach to the image of how they are feeling. Recently, I've been choosing a mini-teacher and they have to choose 3 students and ask them how they are. They then show the class the student's answer on the feelings wheel and ask the class how he or she is. The class has to give a complete answer, he or she is excited, for example. In a classroom where I can't use screens, this wheel has been a great helper.  

It's the first Day! AGAIN!

 So, here we go again! It’s another first day of school with new students, and the butterflies in our stomachs have once again come alive. For me, the first day of class is about building connections. We want to get to know our students’ likes and dislikes, not only to have them practice the English language, but also so that we can show them that we care about who they are. The first day leaves an impression on them. I want to let them know that they are seen, remind them that I’m on their side, and show them that I want them to come back the next day. With my younger students, I’m going to have them write their names and draw, inside their names, things they like. Then, we’ll sit in a circle, and they’ll each share what they drew with the class. I want to use the information they give me on this first day to test their memory on the second day of class. For example, I might ask, “Who has a dog named Jack?” and they will have to tell me the name of that student. Here’s what I wi...