Skip to main content

Message in a Bottle


 My bilingual 5th-graders were reading about wild animals and how their habitats are affected by humans. To wrap up the unit, I had them write a message to animals 100 years in the future. In their messages, they asked questions about what the world was like for the animals and if they were doing okay. Some students apologized for what humans had done to the planet while others drew the animals they were imagining. It was interesting to see how creative they got with their messages to the future. When they were done. they tied up their messages and glued them to paper bottles they had drawn and cut out as if we were going to throw these "bottles" in the ocean for animals to find in the future, find and read 😏 

I then took these messages to another older group of students I had. I asked this group of older teens to imagine they were the animals receiving the messages 100 years in the future and for them to answer the messages. My 5th-graders were so excited to receive their bottles back with the answers. They were also very curious to know more about the students who had answered their letters. It was great to be able to see them use English spontaneously and to be so willing to do this activity even though we were almost at the end of the year and feeling tired. And, the best part was that they asked to do more activities like this one. 💓

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Wish You a Merry Christmas!!

 Last days of class and everything is Christmasy! I used paint and markers to liven up my students' paper portfolio envelopes with a holly ribbon. The kids loved them! They then added their own Christmas theme decorations to their portfolios. We also made holiday bookmarks which were pretty easy to make with leftover craft paper from the year. And look who I got to take a picture with at the mall! 🎄

It's the first Day! AGAIN!

 So, here we go again! It’s another first day of school with new students, and the butterflies in our stomachs have once again come alive. For me, the first day of class is about building connections. We want to get to know our students’ likes and dislikes, not only to have them practice the English language, but also so that we can show them that we care about who they are. The first day leaves an impression on them. I want to let them know that they are seen, remind them that I’m on their side, and show them that I want them to come back the next day. With my younger students, I’m going to have them write their names and draw, inside their names, things they like. Then, we’ll sit in a circle, and they’ll each share what they drew with the class. I want to use the information they give me on this first day to test their memory on the second day of class. For example, I might ask, “Who has a dog named Jack?” and they will have to tell me the name of that student. Here’s what I wi...

How are you today?

No matter how old my students are, we always start the class by me asking them how they are, or sometimes them asking each other. To help with this opening routine, I made this feelings wheel and now when I ask my fourth-graders how they are, they use a clothespin to attach to the image of how they are feeling. Recently, I've been choosing a mini-teacher and they have to choose 3 students and ask them how they are. They then show the class the student's answer on the feelings wheel and ask the class how he or she is. The class has to give a complete answer, he or she is excited, for example. In a classroom where I can't use screens, this wheel has been a great helper.