Skip to main content

I Feel Happy When I Listen to Music!




Who doesn't love to listen to a good song?! My little kids are studying about words to use to talk about feelings and specifically this day about what makes them happy. I used cardboard for the guitars. I made sure to cut them out before class because the cardboard was a little too hard for them to cut, although I do like them to be able to practice using scissors. The students painted them and glued the paper details. They pretended to play them the following classes as we sang our hello song and they would repeat the sentence: I feel happy when I listen to music. 

The piano was drawn onto white paper but the black keys were srips of black paper the students glued onto their white keys. I let them choose the color of the paint they wanted for their hands. I painted each student´s hand and helped them stamp their pianos. We took around 3 classes to do all this. When the pianos were drying, I showed them a video of a little girl around their age playing the piano and they were mesmerized. The following class they were able to "play" their pianos and also repeat the sentence we've been practicing: I feel happy when I listen to music. 

I got both art ideas for this class on Pinterest. I'm always inspired by what I can find there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Wish You a Merry Christmas!!

 Last days of class and everything is Christmasy! I used paint and markers to liven up my students' paper portfolio envelopes with a holly ribbon. The kids loved them! They then added their own Christmas theme decorations to their portfolios. We also made holiday bookmarks which were pretty easy to make with leftover craft paper from the year. And look who I got to take a picture with at the mall! 🎄

It's the first Day! AGAIN!

 So, here we go again! It’s another first day of school with new students, and the butterflies in our stomachs have once again come alive. For me, the first day of class is about building connections. We want to get to know our students’ likes and dislikes, not only to have them practice the English language, but also so that we can show them that we care about who they are. The first day leaves an impression on them. I want to let them know that they are seen, remind them that I’m on their side, and show them that I want them to come back the next day. With my younger students, I’m going to have them write their names and draw, inside their names, things they like. Then, we’ll sit in a circle, and they’ll each share what they drew with the class. I want to use the information they give me on this first day to test their memory on the second day of class. For example, I might ask, “Who has a dog named Jack?” and they will have to tell me the name of that student. Here’s what I wi...

How are you today?

No matter how old my students are, we always start the class by me asking them how they are, or sometimes them asking each other. To help with this opening routine, I made this feelings wheel and now when I ask my fourth-graders how they are, they use a clothespin to attach to the image of how they are feeling. Recently, I've been choosing a mini-teacher and they have to choose 3 students and ask them how they are. They then show the class the student's answer on the feelings wheel and ask the class how he or she is. The class has to give a complete answer, he or she is excited, for example. In a classroom where I can't use screens, this wheel has been a great helper.